There are 1.4 billion active devices that run on iOS. It makes sense for the business to invest in iOS to capture a slice of this market. The demand is high, but the supply is low. A lucrative career waits ahead for those looking to build their career in iOS AppDevelopment Company. As an iOS developer, when you are just starting out, you would be interested to know how to pursue a career in iOS App Development, but don’t know where to start or where to find that information.
This article will tell you the skills and the best programming languages you need to learn to build your career in iOS App development. Increasingly more and more companies are adopting a mobile-first approach. This has increased the demand for iOS developers who build apps for Apple devices. Due to talent shortages, the salaries have gone up for many in the field. If you know the necessary programming languages and other skills to create apps that enterprises and consumers use every day to make their lives more productive, you have all the reasons to build your career in iOS app development.
This article will help you better understand how to break into a career in mobile app development. It covers the most important details and resources. At present IT scenario, Mobile app development is a hot skill. As a result, more and more people can be seen opting for it. It makes common sense for most developers to opt for the most in-demand mobile technology to build their career. Just look at the popularity and demand for Apple’s iPhone, iPad, and iPod.
You will feel safe to say that a career in iOS Development is a good bet.
Both experienced as well as entry-level professionals are entering the world of iOS Development. Still, there are immense job opportunities that provide good pay package and even better career growth. According to a survey of mobile app developers by Vision Mobile, iOS is the right technology to spend your time and money on. Let’s try to grasp the things from the beginning.
The prime responsibilities of an iOS developer
The main job of an iOS developer revolves around building, testing, and refining applications for mobile devices that use Apple’s iOS operating system. They are expected to develop in a fashion that is consistent with the goals and standards of their company or client. The iOS developer is also expected to possess a strong understanding of iOS and how it works with different Apple devices like iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Apple TV. They should also be able to adapt their applications to their firm’s or client’s requirements.
Rationale behind the spike in demand for iOS developers
Even though the Android holds more global market share and is obviously the market leader , Apple leads with 1.4 billion active devices. All of these devices run on iOS, as a result, the demand for iOS developers who are well versed and can create apps for these devices has exploded in recent years. According to a Sensor Tower report, the App Store will reach 5 million apps by 2020. That’s a massive number. Mobile developers are among the top 10 most in-demand and hardest to fill tech jobs. The US Bureau of Labor and Statistics predicts that application developer jobs will grow 31% from the present state by 2026.
Responsibilities of an iOS Developer
Strictly speaking in terms of job role, Apple iOS Developers are responsible for building intuitive and eye-catching apps for mobile devices that run on Apple’s iOS operating system. In several ways, iOS Developers contribute to a brand. A badly designed app can lead to a negative opinion about the company. Since it takes a team to develop a professional iOS app, the developers are expected to work in a diverse team comprising of managers, designers, and other Developers. Here are some of the key responsibilities of an iOS Developer:
- They have to design and build advanced native iOS apps on the iOS platform.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features on time.
- They are responsible for unit-tests code for sturdiness, such as edge cases, usability, and functional reliability of the iOS app.
- They have to identify and correct issues/bugs.
- iOS developers have to continuously discover, evaluate and implement new technologies to increase development efficiency.
- Ensure code quality, organization, and automatization.
- They have to build sophisticated multi-threaded apps.
Tips for building a career in iOS App development
If you are an aspiring iOS professional who desires to build a career in iOS development and have little or no experience in programming, then it can be difficult for you to find a job. Here are some tips to help you get started.
- Learn iOS development – This is the first step to building your career in iOS development. There are numerous online resources and online courses that can assist you in your learning from anywhere and anytime and at your own pace.
- Start making apps right away – As soon as your learning begins, you should start building the apps. This is the best way to practice what you learned. Develop simple apps and make them available for free or at a low cost to the public. This will help you get reviews and feedback. You can develop better ones in the future or further improve the existing ones. The apps you build will also build the portfolio that you can show to your prospective clients.
- Utilize any opportunity to create apps – If you are not getting a big break, you can start working on your reputation by developing apps for small organizations at a low cost or even for free.
Skills needed for iOS development
Here are few but must-have skills that will help you make a dent in your iOS development career are:
- You should develop the ability to build native, structurally sound software for iOS and Mac OS X platforms.
- Research online and stay connected to keep up with current UX/UI trends. You should also keep yourself updated on new functionality exposed through Apple’s SDKs.
- Make the maximum use of project management software, version control systems. You should also get yourself familiarized with developing automated testing and deployment strategies.
- To make a career in iOS development, you will also require the following tools and applications.
- An Apple computer – This is the bare minimum requirement. For the development purpose, an advanced one would be better since you will need good speed and memory when you’re developing and testing your apps.
- iPhone /iPad /iPod – As per your budget, you should buy one of each since you will need to test your app on different iOS platforms. Testing your app on your devices is an obvious logical step before you ship it to your client or place it on the store.
- Become a member of the iOS Developer Program – If you want to access all the developer tools made by Apple, you need to become a member.
Things you need to master
- Objective C – This is the language you need to create an iOS app. Having a strong foundation in it is absolutely essential.
- iOS – The are scores of frameworks within iOS. There are also tools like adding text and images, building views, and handling user interactions that you must know.
- Swift – Relatively new, this is Apple’s programming language for iOS Apps. You should learn the fundamentals of programming since that’s the foundation for building apps.
- XCode – It is the development studio which is used for creating Apple-based programs and apps. Though it is free to download, yet extremely helpful if you become proficient in it.
- Interface Builder – This is an awesome tool by Apple that lets you create smart and eye-catching user interfaces through drag and drop.
- Version Control – You should learn to use a versioning system for the code is an essential skill for any developer.
- Frameworks – If you are familiar with important frameworks, it will make your life as an iOS Developer fairly easier. The framework allows you to reuse code written by other developers in your apps.
Gain real-world experience
It’s not just about experience, but about gaining real-world experience. If you want to build your career as an iOS developer, you should ask yourself what it means to have experience. Gaining real-world experience means, making lots of mistakes. That’s the only thing you need to do to gain real-world experience. When you make mistakes you gain insights, and insights lead to innovation, and thereafter innovation leads to progress.
That’s a reason the difference between a junior and a senior developer can’t be measured in years. Senior developers get seasoned to make calculative mistakes and find their way out. This does not mean that you should start making mistakes, but rather it implies that you should not be afraid of trying out a new approach where you don’t know the answer.
A senior developer will look at a problem from different angles, they try out different approaches, and ultimately succeed in coming up with the best answer or the solution. On the contrary, a junior developer will merely do what he’s told and will avoid mistakes. A junior developer also needs constant oversight and guidance. The problem is that there aren’t enough senior developers to mentor the juniors in the IT industry.
There is an exponential demand for iOS Developers. However, it is worth noting that the job requires even hotter skills in order to land a drool-worthy position. If you are considering to build your career in iOS development, you should be willing to invest your time and energy for growth as a developer. Time and resources invested in learning iOS development is the best step forward for a lucrative career in this field.