Big data is king! It is a proven fact that big data has been the talk of the town for quite some time. Between the dawn of 2003, there were 5 exabytes of information being created. Butdo you know the amount of data being generated each day today?
- Today, internet users generate about 2.5 quintillion bytes of data daily.
- The big data market is expected to grow by 20% in 2019.
- By 2023, the big data analytics market is set to reach $103 billion.
- In 2020, each person is predicted to generate 1.7 megabytes in just a second.
- 3 billion active Facebook users in 2019, isn’t this astounding enough for us to realize that the big data world just got bigger.
- There are around 97.2%of organizations that are already looking to invest in big data and AI.
- Netflix saves nearly $1 billion per year on customer retention using big data.
Actify.com says, 33% of all data could be useful if analyzed. But a saddening report also says that a mere 0.5% of data is analyzed by most companies. Though organizations have started adopting in the big data industry, it is still a pity to see that the data analyzed is yet to increase.
You will find over 800 million searches on Google about big data – but what is big data? And why is it important?
Big data is a term that is used to describe a humongous amount of data. In simple terms, it is a type of data that is huge and will keep on growing exponentially. But the data is so complex that none of the traditional data management tools can store or process these kinds of data efficiently.
Some examples of big data:
- Social media, there are over 500 terabytes of new data that gets ingested into the database of social media such as Facebook daily. These data can be generated in the form of videos or images.
- Did you also know that a single jet engine has the capacity of generating 10+terabytes of data in 30 minutes of the flight time? With thousands of flights that get operated daily, the generation of data is likely to reach petabytes.
- Another great example is the New York stock exchange. It is said that they generate near about 1 terabyte of new trade data each day.
Why is it important?
The big data industry poses a game-changing opportunity today – from future predictions to analyzing databases. In today’s world, the value of big data has become invaluable for most companies. For big data professional, grasping a career in this field is a seller market.
You’re likely to have come across topics such as data science, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. Well, they’re all interlinked and the key connector is big data. Machine learning and AI is all about writing logics and algorithms to create a model that is further used for validation, testing, and producing positive insights. These models that are built entirely depend on big data.
A McKinsey study says that 90% of jobs will get automated by 2036, out of which 30% of these jobs will be leveraging big data and its associated technologies. Looking at this demand it clearly states that big data will remain to be one of the most sought after career path in the coming years.
Due to the lack of skilled professional in this field, big data professionals are in high demand. For someone looking to hop into a big data career, they do not require to have many hats but they need to have skills in the field of mathematics, statistics, business acumen, programming, collaborative skills along with communication skills.
Other prerequisite tools include Hadoop, Pig, Spark, Cassandra, Kafka, etc. these tools can be used depending on the requirement of the organization.
How to become a big data professional today?
With so much hype in the data science and big data industry today, securing the right talent is becoming a challenge.
Big data is now redefining core operations and has emerged to become a critical corporate asset. To fill in the gaps within the organization, many professionals from the IT background have shifted their focus toward upgrading their skillset through big data certification.
Staying updated through certifications is an ideal way to get an edge in this fast-paced hypercompetitive world. There’s a reason why professionals must act wisely in choosing their program from varied certification bodies. Some of the best big data certification bodies include prestigious names like Data Science Council of America (DASCA), Hortonworks and Cloudera.
Surprisingly, an ideal ladder toward measuring knowledge and skills against the industry is possible by demonstrating the right set of skills to potential employers.
Undoubtedly, as big data grows so will the demand for expert professionals in this field. Staying ahead of others through credible certifications will help you find your way around this competitive job market.